Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:16:19
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Some answers please?

>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:04:39 +0800
>From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] Some answers please?
>
>At 09:11 AM 20/02/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:08:09 -0500
> >From: "Pres Waterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: [LIB] Some answers please?
> >
> >\> Actisys does make serial port enablers for devices that weren't
>designed
> >> with IRDA.
> >>

> >Great! What does that mean, an IrDa dongle plugged into a DB-9F socket,
>and
> >it presents itself to the infrared world as a comport?
>
>Don't count on it ... ref what I said about only Tx and Rx being available
>... I don't like the chances of your serial cellphone working for instance
>as it'd probably also require the CD/RI lines. Unless the Actisys comes
>with a driver to reconstruct these lines (in which case you'd take a speed
>hit) all it'd be doing is what I mentioned in my essay earlier on.

I haven't looked at the IRDA spec, so I'm guessing here...but I can't
imagine that *anyone* (even MS) is dumb enough to implement a serial link
without flow control of some sort.

There are plenty of examples of flow control using either in-band or out of
band signalling within the channel and just using two or four wire
connections.

Any rational adaptor (serial to optical) should be capable of interfacing to
the full collection of control lines on a serial port - tx/rx, ctr/dtr, and
cts/hook at a minimum.

Of course, whether the IRDA interface implements those things to the driver
is another question :)