Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:20:13 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Some answers please?

At 11:36 PM 20/02/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:27:52
>From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] Some answers please?
>
>>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:27:31 -0500
>>From: David VanHorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: Re: [LIB] Some answers please?
>>

>>>I haven't looked at the IRDA spec, so I'm guessing here...but I can't
>>>imagine that *anyone* (even MS) is dumb enough to implement a serial link
>>>without flow control of some sort.
>>
>>They aren't
>>

>>>Of course, whether the IRDA interface implements those things to the
>>>driver is another question :)
>>
>>They do.
>>
>>However, not exactly in the way you think,
>>You don't see the handshake directly from the remote device, it's not
>>necessary. You see handshake from the local IRDA dongle. It's buffers are
>>what you must not overflow, and it must not overflow yours.
>>
>>The end result is the same, you put data into the dongle at rate X, it
>>travels between dongles at rate Y, and from the far dongle to the device at
>>rate Z. Your throughput will not be greater than the lowest rate of the
>>three, and not much less, if X and Y are reasonably high. Y cannot be less
>>than 9600. X and Z can be anything from 300-115200 (typically)
>
>You mistake me! That's exactly the way I would have implemented it - the software
>interface to each end only cares whether the hardware can accept data. What the other
>end is doing is immaterial, as is the mechanism for getting the data there.
>Maintaining a channel for state information which rarely changes is at best, wasteful
>of resources.
>
>This being so - an IRDA to serial adaptor should be a fairly trivial device: IR
>transmitter and receiver (and shaping circuits), some buffer memory, a standard
>serial interface, and a small processor to keep it all in step. Probably fabricated
>on a single chip.

... exactly what I said in that essay ages ago (except for the fact that if there was
no point having those handshaking lines, why bother having them in a standard serial
port? Answer is that every now and again those lines DO change! But thats trodden
ground already).

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |