Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:02:05 -0500
From: Pres Waterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Wheeee!

> I'm now a proud owner of a L100! (yea so now I'm a greedy Libretto owner
... until I sell my L50 to my sister) ...

Keep 'em both!

> It is noticeably bigger and heavier than the L50 (I gotta get myself
bigger pockets now!) but the screen certainly is significantly nicer ... its
got the 64 meg of RAM on board and the 2 gig hard drive (although I'll be
moving my 20 gig hard drive into there) and it boots up a damn sight quicker
than my old one (must be the RAM ... IIRC its only a P166 which isn't an
awful lot faster than my P100 L50).

> I got the libby, power supply and advanced port replicator (having 4
PCMCIA slots is nice!) ... no docking bar though (did these actually COME
with them?)

YES

or floppy drive. The docking bar for my L50 doesn't seem to want to fit (the
docking connector seems to be a little larger in the L100) but the floppy
diskette drive from my L50 seems to work OK ... I don't think I did too
badly for $875AUD (about $437USD).

> I couldn't see any bad pixels on the screen, no dead keys on the keyboard
(the keyboard itself is a UK keyboard so its got the pound sign and all the
right keys in the wrong places ;-) ... I keep pressing AltGr instead of
spacebar, # instead of \ and @ instead of " but I'll get used to that (or
I'll set Windows back to International keyboard and write new symbols on the
keys keys so its like a SANE PERSON'S keyboard!).

WHEN YOU REMAP THEM, CAN'T YOU POP OFF THE KEYS AND REPLACE THEM?

> One thing that did puzzle me somewhat was why even though there is more
space in the L100, its still got those plastic spacers under the hard drive
(like on the L50/70) to accomodate the 8.5mm hard drive ... I had to remove
them to get my 9.5mm 20 gig hard drive to fit.

> Some things I'd like to ask ... for those of you with both librettos, any
quirks/issues between the 2 that might land me in the drink (especially
regarding the layout of the internals)? For that matter, any quirks I should
be aware of?

> Is it normal for the mouse buttons to be significantly stiffer on the L100
than the L50?

YES

Can someone with the L100 manual tell me what the 4 LEDs in their various
blink states actually DO (they're obviously different to the way the L50
works).

I DON'T THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!

> This L100 doesn't seem to do the 'write to hard drive during suspend'
thingy (I go start>suspend and it suspends straight away, I know it hasn't
written anything because if I pull all power and the battery then power back
on it fails to recover) ... is that a setting somewhere or is that
controlled from Windows now? I realize in power management you can set it to
hibernate on panel close or on power button but it was sorta nice in the L50
where I could go suspend and if I needed to power back on in the next 20
minutes I could do so instantly whilst if the power died I could still
resume from hibernation (this one actually caught me a bit ... the power
profile was for 'always on' so whenever I suspended or hibernated, the
laptop would turn itself back on!).

> If it does hibernate somewhere, does it shove the hibernation stuff in
exactly the same place as the L50? I left about 120 meg free either side of
1024 cylinders on my old hard drive, should this be fine for the L100? I do
have EZ-Bios installed and it seems to see all of the drive ...

> Does anyone know if its possible to access the processor temperature
sensor on the L100 in software? Alternatively does it nicely hibernate when
it overheats? I don't think I'll be overclocking it but then again it does
get hot round here ... I just pulled the hard drive out and it was too hot
to touch!

> Regarding batteries, is the extended pack for the L100 the same size as
the standard pack?

YES, but the standard has 3 cells and the extended has 6

Whats the capacity and approximate real-use runtime on each?

I got a 2,600mAH aftermatket pack from http://www.sabaoceanic.com and got
over 4 1/2 hours recently! Street Atlas and email reading, no modem
installed. But, it has become intermittent and I will need to take it apart
and repair it.

> Regarding operating system choice, given a choice between Win95OSR2 and
Win98SE, which one would be better to use? Win95OSR2 is faster for the same
RAM and fully supports the Libby's APM stuff but it doesn't have USB support
... Win98SE has more features and has USB but according to Toshiba, APM
doesn't work on it.

NOT TRUE, THERE IS AN ACPI PATCH

Have people got APM working on Win98SE using the L100? (I'm talking things
like PROPER hibernation, going into suspend but saving HDD contents so it
will flip over to hibernation after X minutes, redetecting devices on
resume, etc.).

WELL, PROPER HIBERNATION HAS ALWAYS REMAINED ELUSIVE. I find a restore from
hibernation is not actually faster then a full boot that seems necessary
anyway, because devices DON'T reset well.

> Any advice appreciated! (Well OK not ANY but ... meh)

Well, there is a full Win95B restore "CD" posted recently if you want to see
it as the factory intended.