Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:31:34 -0800 (PST)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Wheeee!

> One thing that did puzzle me somewhat was why even though there is more space
> in the L100, its still got those plastic spacers under the hard drive (like
> on the L50/70) to accomodate the 8.5mm hard drive ... I had to remove them to
> get my 9.5mm 20 gig hard drive to fit.

  Original models shipped with 9.5mm IBM HDs because Toshiba didn't have any.
Later, Toshiba HDs 8.45mm replaced the IBM HDs when they became avail.

> This L100 doesn't seem to do the 'write to hard drive during suspend' thingy
> (I go start>suspend and it suspends straight away, I know it hasn't written
> anything because if I pull all power and the battery then power back on it
> fails to recover) ... is that a setting somewhere or is that controlled from
> Windows now? I realize in power management you can set it to hibernate on

  Control Panel -> Power Settings -> Hibernate on power button press vs.
shutdown or suspend.  (same choices for lid close)

  Or, control it in the BIOS.

> If it does hibernate somewhere, does it shove the hibernation stuff in
> exactly the same place as the L50? I left about 120 meg free either side of
> 1024 cylinders on my old hard drive, should this be fine for the L100? I do
> have EZ-Bios installed and it seems to see all of the drive ...

  A bit less, but I leave 1010-1040 cylinders on my 30GB HD with EZ-BIOS free
after extensive testing with a disk hex editor to find out where the suspend
information goes.

> hot round here ... I just pulled the hard drive out and it was too hot to
> touch!

  Same here!  Happily, it seems to run just happily after months of use with
the new 30GB inside.

> Regarding batteries, is the extended pack for the L100 the same size as the
> standard pack? Whats the capacity and approximate real-use runtime on each?

  Yes.  Believe it comes with just the extended 3-4 hours min; standard would
go 2-3 hours I vaguely recall.

> Regarding operating system choice, given a choice between Win95OSR2 and
> Win98SE, which one would be better to use? Win95OSR2 is faster for the same
> RAM and fully supports the Libby's APM stuff but it doesn't have USB support

  I'm on Win98SE on my L110 and it runs just fine and fast with 64MB RAM and
the 30GB HD.  Mostly for the USB support since I use all those USB devices, but
otherwise, Win95 would be fine as well.

> doesn't work on it. Have people got APM working on Win98SE using the L100?
> (I'm talking things like PROPER hibernation, going into suspend but saving
> HDD contents so it will flip over to hibernation after X minutes, redetecting
> devices on resume, etc.).

  Runs just fine with 98 here with all that.  Just install Win98SE, then the
Toshiba accessories and control panel downloads from www.csd.toshiba.com and
that's it.  Goes to sleep automatically just fine, wakes up naturally, just
peachy.

> Any advice appreciated! (Well OK not ANY but ... meh)

  Accessories are getting harder to find.  www.ebay.com, www.micsol.com and
search www.yahoo.com on part #s to find them.  Get replacement mouse caps, and
anything else you'd want to have around before they go away completely.

  eg. for me, it's another set of HD drive handles and screws, mouse caps, and
keyboard attachment strips (only because I may take the L110 apart someday and
break that part).  Picked up external docking station and floppy drive as well.

=====
adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/

http://greetings.yahoo.com