Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 22:38:31 -0500
From: Pres Waterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Best VFM drive for my 50CT please?

> Hey Pres, chill out here ... notice I came out and backed you on this one.

It's a timing thing, I sent that, then saw you defending me, then I thanked
you... ya know how it goes, sorry

> If you wanted to take THAT argument to its logical conclusion, we should
all get our hard drives replaced professionally. ALL do-it-yourself hardware
upgrades are risky. The amount of risk involved is directly proportional to
the deviation of the upgrade from standard and inversely proportional to the
upgrader's skill level. If you know what you're doing then you can afford to
do slightly freaky things like solder to the motherboard or file away bits
of case to make things fit. If you're not then you should stick to 8.5mm
hard drives so you don't need to risk opening the case and removing the
spacers.

No. Because even a professional will screw up a too-fat HDD install.

The thread has somehow magically decided that it's not the thickness at all,
actually, it's the method of insertion.

NO, it's the thickness. Living in there. Day after day. Hot, cold, hot. It
breathes. It expands. It stresses the MB. Day. After. Day. Until one day...
no boot, HDC error, stupid look.

See? It's almost imperceptable. It could be as tiny a factor as the
thickness of the glue on the label on the HDD. Hell, it could be the
gyroscopic effects of the platter spinning. Cosmic rays! I don't give a
hoot.

> What I do NOT get however is how a 9.5mm hard drive can cause damage if
its a loose drop fit into the case (after removing all the necessary junk of
course). Perhaps you could shed some light on this one ... were the HDD's in
the failed libbys loose drop fits into the case or did they still need to be
pushed in with a reasonable amount of force?

I would say the 9.5 feels proper, deceivingly and convincingly RIGHT,
slightly snug, like a glove, NO unreasonable force required to insert. Very
deadly.

> - Raymond
>

> P.S. FWIW my L50 now has a 8.5mm hard drive in it (my L100 came with an
8.5mm 2 gighard drive) and now belongs to my sister ... my L100 has the
9.5mm 20 gig hard drive that was in my L50, THAT is a REALLY REALLY loose
drop fit, so loose that I'm tempted to put a (much thinner than normal)
spacer under it so it doesn't wobble around quite as much as it does now.

Good combinations. Get back to me if the L50 dies of mysterious causes in
the future, having had the 9.5mm drive in it for a while.

Yes, the L100 is fine with a 9.5mm HDD. As has been pointed out, there are
differences between a 50 and a 70, seemingly the same but not. I wonder
where the Japanese-only 60 "fits" in ( sorry for the pun ). But there are no
comparisons in this issue when you jump to a 1x0 series.

I am weary of this thread. Everyone please shove 9.5mm drives in their 50's
and when they die I will pay USD$75 for each and every one, provided I also
get the same accessories as I did just last week: a clean dead L50 with good
screen, a mini-replicator AND floppy I needed anyway, a 16MB RAM upgrade, a
power supply, 2 unopened mouse covers, a service manual, and a 4.3GB 8.45mm
HDD.

Line forms on the left. I will wait.

Thanks

Pres Waterman, W2PW