Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 20:42:29 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] DOS Card socket services?

>I've tried Ghosting the 110 drive to the 100 drive,

Word of warning ... in my experience, Ghost 6.x seems to do weird things to
certain drives with overlays. I've had more success with Powerquest
DriveImage because it doesn't try to second-guess the file system (but then
again its a LOT LOT easier to stuff things up accidentally with DriveImage
than it is with Ghost due to the stuff it DOESN'T tell you about ... its a
risk balance I guess).

>And before people tell me to just format the HD in the Lib, move it to a
>desktop, and copy the CAB files over, remember the IBM overlay - it
>seems to be screwing with the ability of the Lib100 with Win98 to read
>the drive, so I'm not holding my breath about plugging it into my Win98
>desktop and reading it either.

Actually I get around that problem by booting off the libby's hard drive on
my desktop. Sure it does screw some things up and I can't boot the desktop
OS but at least it lets me use a standard IDE CD-ROM drive and the other
hard drives in my desktop. Its also probably a lot faster to partition and
ghost the hard drive in the desktop (especially because you could ghost
onto another local drive). Certainly EZ-Bios knows to keep its feet away
from drives that it can see don't have EZ-Bios installed. I'm sure if you
*REALLY* wanted to you could put NTLDR on the libby's hard drive, boot off
it then jump into the WinNT/2k/XP install on the desktop (because NT/2k/XP
don't mind being booted from different places) but I haven't been bothered
doing that ...

I actually wrote a big splurge on how I managed to get Windows 98 and Red
Hat dual booting on my libby with a 20 gig Fujitsu hard drive and EZ-Bios
installed (I actually did it on my L50 ... I moved the lot over to my L100
by doing a hellavalot of stuff you shouldn't do with file systems but thats
in another email ;-) ... it might keep you from getting into the same dead
ends I did.

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |