Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:11:41 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Touchscreen Kits

At 09:23 AM 10/04/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:20:05 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Kevin McClelland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] Touchscreen Kits
>
>Not sure how simple or cost effective such a procedure
>would be. The 1100 is a very rare find in the US, the
>vast majority of Libretto owners over here are
>L50/70/100/110 users. I would assume custom drivers
>would have to be developed for each Libretto series,
>and for all the different OS we use.

Actually, I dunno exactly what the touchscreen comes up with as far as
signals go but if its anything like what I've heard of, the signals come
out of the touchscreen and into a little decoder box, out of which comes a
PS/2 or serial mouse signal. Without extra drivers this would look like a
normal mouse (so your calibration would be completely shot, it'd behave
like a large trackpad), with the touchscreen's own drivers it'll look like
a proper Windows pointing device (with calibration and whatnot).

>  I do not even know
>if it is feasible to get it working onto the
>motherboard.

If it is just PS/2 or serial I don't see any reason why you couldn't just
solder it onto one of the pins on the chipset (assuming you could get a
pinout) ... in fact if it WAS PS/2 you might even be able to jump it in
onto the existing screen mouse ...

>One more thing - I have messed around with an external
>touchpad, and overall I like it, but I cannot get it to
>cooperate under Win2k. It is the only thing that I have
>used that can actually crash Win2k on my L100. If I can
>ever get it configured to work reliably, it might be
>another viable option.

Hmm ... what company makes it? Perhaps their drivers are shot. Tried using
more 'generic' drivers (perhaps having a look around the Synaptics website
would be an idea?) ... several times I had to go to the Synaptics website
to download drivers for laptop touchpads because their own drivers didn't
seem to behave (IIRC this was when Win2k first came out but I can't quite
remember) ... of course this is assuming that the underlying touchpad is a
synaptics.

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |