Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:02:24 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Phantom disks??

{Digby]
>>>So the puzzle I have is - why is Windows showing the extra drive, and
>>>where abouts on the disk is it??? Is there any way to find out what is
>>>happening without destroying some other part of the disk?

[Neil]
>>It might be worth reading the MBR and the volume boot records that define
>>the partitions with a hex disc editor - but I bet it'll make headaches :)

[Raymond]
>If you've got PM you might want to play with it there ... otherwise if its
>only annoying you (and not causing any other problems) just hide it using
>TweakUI.

When this happened to me, PM didn't see those two 'phantom' partitions that
Windows was reporting it saw.  An example of PM doesn't always know what's
going on with Linux I guess.  Your experience creating Linux partitions with
PM that showed up look like a DOS partition in Linux is another example.

As I wrote, I ended up just MAKING two tiny logical drives on the Windows
primary.  Windows recognized them, and I was able to write data to and from
both in Windows (as well as in Linux as I recall).

Of course I had an big investment in the time I had put into setting up a
lot of software on the Win95 partition.  If you've just begun setting up
your OSs, you might just want to scrap everything and start over.

I'd start by making one primary partition for Windows, and installing it.
Then use PM to hide it, create a small partition to start your Linux
installation, and go from there.

Matt