Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 03:31:23 -0700
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Re: Libretto 110, 8gb barrier

Quoting car val <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 05:51:33 -0400
> From: "car val" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Re: Libretto 110, 8gb barrier
>
> Good Morning Gerhard,
>

> thank you, I'll try it your way. I too don't like the idea of tricking
> the HD, one the HD will trick you and all your data will be lost.

I fail to see how you think having the disk overlay trick the hard drive is any
more reliable than having the OS trick the hard drive, especially seeing as
before the OS loads (ie. at the ntldr stage) WinNT/2k can't even see past 8 gig
anyway. At least the drive overlay's specific purpose is to do that and protects
itself so you're less likely to damage things by accidentally disabling it.

Speaking of which, Gerhard missed out one very important step, if you do install
WinNT his way, after you get NT onto the first partition, MAKE SURE YOU LOAD AT
LEAST SERVICE PACK 3 before you create any more partitions (and it'd be best to
load service pack 6a or a more recent one if one has come out since). Prior to
SP3, WinNT did nasty things to partitions that ended over about 7 gig or so
(even if the BIOS could read past 8 gig and yes, that is 7 gig, as in less than
8 gig, ask Microsoft why).

> I'll going to partitioned C: (2gb) D: (2gb) E:(4gb), I'll
> have Win98se on C: and Win2k on D: and E: will be
> for storage.
> So, you're saying that Win2k will see the remaining free space
> from 8gb to 12gb???

Win98SE won't see past 8 gig without a drive overlay. Even worse, if you create
partitions past 8 gig then use FDISK or any other non-NT or non-2k disk
partitioning utility (including Partition Magic, Norton Ghost, DriveImage, etc.)
to manipulate partitions, you'll corrupt your partition table. This is speaking
from experience.

> As for the hibernation can't I just not install it, it seem more trouble
> than
> it worth??? I can do with out it?

Hibernation is a feature built into the BIOS. If the libby detects the processor
or disk drives overheating, the battery going dead or another critical failure,
it will force all contents of RAM to disk at about the 1024 cylinder mark on the
hard drive. It will do this regardless of your hibernation settings and, as this
location is hard coded into the BIOS, it won't read the partition table and so
will corrupt data (its the libby's self preservation mechanism). Unless you feel
like hex editing a BIOS flash (in which case you wouldn't ask a question like
that) its not possible to disable it.

If you look in the archives, there are many stories of successful installations
of various operating systems (and various combinations thereof) along with full
step by step procedures. It would be well worth you reading them lest you fall
into the same traps we did before we wrote them.

- Raymond