Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:46:02 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] LiIon AA Batteries?

At 10:54 PM 30/08/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 05:49:58 +0000
>From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] LiIon AA Batteries?

<snip>

>>Also make sure you're charging them right, you only really get top
>>capacity from NiMH using a proper negative-delta charger (it detects when
>>the voltage curve starts coming back down again, indicating the cell is
>>fully charged) or some other intelligent charger. The standard 'ram this
>>much voltage in and just time it' sort of charger isn't much good for
>>them (as I found out the hard way ...). Such chargers aren't all that
>>expensive nowadays anyway.
>
>Now, you're talking about a charger that's made specifically to charge
>both NiMH and LiIon batteries, right?  I'm guessing that LiIon batteries
>have to have a different charging circuit than the NiMHs, don't they?

LiIon certainly have a very different charging circuit to NiMH. I'm
referring to the NiMH/NiCAD intelligent chargers (both NiMH and NiCAD have
charge curves that are similar enough for several companies to make
charging controller chips that can do either).

>I have a really nice little NiMH charger that seems to do what you
>describe.  It has a red light (LED?) that goes out when the batteries are
>charged, after which the unit seems to shut down to a trickle where no
>heat can be detected coming from either charger or batteries.

Does the red light go out and the charger flip over to trickle charge when
the batteries are charged or does it do so after a certain amount of time?
I've purchased one that did that (I didn't realize it wasn't an intelligent
charger).

>But I'm not sure if I may have fried it the other night.  I put a set of 4
>NiMH AAs (ones I got with a charger for my brother), into MY NiMH
>charger... and in a couple hours I walked over and found the batteries and
>charger hotter than all *%^$!  I really don't get that at all.  But I
>noticed that when my brother would charge them in the charger they came
>with, the charger always stayed warm to the touch, had no indicator light,
>and always seemed to stay on.  But I had always thought that all
>NiMH >batteries, were built to the same basic specs, and could be charged
>in any NiMH capable charger.

Hmm ... weird ... *proper* intelligent chargers use both negative delta
charge curve detection as well as thermal detection (batteries get quite
hot when they're about charged). Does the charger still work? Maybe you
just happened to get it when it was hottest (and in fact its been getting
that hot whenever it gets near the end of a charge).

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |  Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!   |
| ICQ: 31756092   | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! |