Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:48:00 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] OT: Editing MS-DOS FAT?

Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:54:08 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Remind me, what was your reason for not wanting to just move the files off the card then copy them back on in the right order? You mentioned it was tiresome before but why do you need to copy them on, then off then back on, why not copy them on in the right order in the first place (of course the first time you'll need to copy them off because they won't be!).
I always end up wanting to rearrange titles so they flow from one to the next, and preserve the mood and meaning of the titles. I can fit about 6 CDs worth of MP3s on my MP3 player's microdrive, and as I listen to them I always end up wanting to hear a certain loaded title played after one I may be listening to, and another following that.
Hey you could probably get a perl script (or a DOS batch file with some extra stuff) to create a DOS batch file that will look at the files on the microdrive/memory card, compare it with the current playlist on the host PC, remove the files that aren't on the playlist and add the ones that aren't on the card, then move the lot onto another directory on the microdrive/card (which involves rewriting the FAT and not the actual files and hence should be done pretty much instantly), then moves them back in the right order, all in one operation!

Would seem to be a lot easier than hacking the FAT ...

- Raymond

---

| | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?" |
| ___ | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| / \ a y b o t | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| | Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet! |
| ICQ: 31756092 | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! |