Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:21:27 -0500
From: David Nedved <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "ghosting" windows installations under linux

Hi All,

Anyone have experience using standard linux tools to "ghost" a windows
partition?  I had to blow away and repartition my hard drive to get the
overlay installed.  Prior to this I popped the drive into my linux desktop
and tarred up the entire drive.  I've got my drive reinstalled, I've got
the overlay installed, I've got it sys'd from a win98 boot disk.  I tried
extracting all the files from the tarball back onto the disk (except for
the dos files in the root directory: msdos.sys, command.com, etc.).  Now
the machine boots back into the command line as if windows isn't even there.

If I type "win" it complains about himem.sys not being in the windows
directory (even though it is).  I thought these were all just standard
files, and that other than the boot sectors, the positions of these files
physically on the disk didn't really matter?

I've got the output of a dd of the entire partition, and I'm able to
extract it to another drive and it works just fine, but since I've installed
the overlay, I'm expecting that my partition is approx 8kb smaller, so I
can't dd the contents of the old partition onto it since it's smaller.

Has anyone else ever used linux tools to backup and restore a windows
intallation?  Anyone know enough about the guts of win98se to know how
to get it booting into the window manager instead of just the command line?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

David