Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:53:39 +0200
From: "Yuval Gal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [LIB] Libretto 100 as a GPS whould like to hear your experience

Hello All,
Trying to get some information from you guys how do you use your Libretto as a GPS machine in your car I will describe the way I implemented it and the problems I’m facing.

Having a Libretto 100 with 166 MHz, 64 MB memory and 30GB disk I looked at it as the best solution for GPS in my Car .
Leaving currently in the US I bought 2 different MAP SW: Streets and Trips 2003 - Microsoft, and Street Atlas USA 2003 - Delorme.
I'm using a USB GPS which I bought for ~ $100 via the internet from company called Deluo : http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc.

Using my Dock station (I need a USB connection and only now I ordered a USB 2 cards PCMCIA from Ebay) and giving 110 V power using a DC - AC converter for my car.
Trying to find a place to install the GPS on my Dashboard and without making any holes in it - I finally put it in the gloves drawer (Keeping it open).

Knowing that that it is not the nicer solution I still expected to get a lot from this combination.

The problems - The first SW (Streets and Trips 2003) is being updated by the GPS every ~15 seconds - which mean that you can miss the turn. - After finding a patch in the Internet that increase the frequency for every 2 seconds it become better but cause other problems (The system is loosing connection to the GPS and other. I read that the 2004 version has a better GPS module.

The second SW (Street Atlas USA 2003 - Delorme ) worked better but it took almost 10 minutes until I was able to get the first signal from the GPS and find my location in the map. To be honest the requirement for this SW was 266 Mhz Pentium machine. BTW this SW has a Voice support which can give you directions by voice and also can answer to build in list of verbal questions.

Testing these two SW with my other Laptop (IBM T-20) show that the problem is not in the GPS or in the SW but seems to be as a result of the low CPU power I have in my Libretto.

Would like to hear from your experience.
Thanks.
Yuval