Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:52:51 -0600
From: John Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Alas, L100 Wasn't Reliable At 266MHz

I went ahead and overclocked my L100 using a conductive pen as
mentioned in the earlier post.  The pen worked fine, in the sense that
the L100 booted up and functioned normally after the modification.

Unfortunately the overclocked machine was not reliable.  It would lock
up (screen looks normal but no response to keyboard or mouse, have to
restart) after appx 20 minute of running.  The heat shield under the
keyboard got hot - not too hot to touch, but too hot to keep your
fingers pressed to it for more than 10 secs.  I restarted the Lib
several times with the same result.  It even locked up with the
keyboard lifted up, the upper PC card slot empty, and no application
running.  This is using Win XP Pro with a 20GB harddrive and a Linksys
wireless card.

I examined the drawn trace under a loupe and it looks fine - is
connecting the two points, no apparent deterioriation due to heat etc.

So, I reversed the mod and now the Lib is running perfectly.  I've sort
of convinced myself that it really wasn't much faster at 266MHz anyway,
although to be honest it did feel peppier during the short period that
I actually got to use it overclocked.  I am now going through Windows,
disabling services and so on, to get a bit of extra speed from that
source.

Bummer.  I've read that 90% of L100s will run well at 266MHz,
apparently I'm in the bottom decile.  Someday I may try 200MHz using
CPUIdle and thermal grease.  But I'm not hopeful of success.  It was
only 68F in the house last night when the overclocked Lib was locking
up while merely idling, and I want the machine to be reliable running
any application(s), sitting in the sun in 100F ambient, with the drive
spinning and both PC card slots working.

Oh well, it was worth a try and only took 15 minutes.  By the way, it
seems like all or most of the English language webpages showing how to
disassemble a L100 have gone 404, so I thought I'd post the procedure I
used here, in case it is ever useful for someone:

LIBRETTO L100 DISASSEMBLY TO OVERCLOCK:

1. Remove battery and unplug Libretto from power.

2. Turn Libretto upside down. Remove lower case half (remove 7 long
screws from underside of Libretto, pull sliding "handle" of the hard
drive out a bit, carefully separate lower case from upper, note tabs on
either side of battery compartment need to be gently separated).

3. Note location of PC card assembly and the 4 screws that hold it down
(from the underside, you see the ends of the screws, not the heads).

4. Turn Libretto right-side up. Remove the plastic strip between the
keyboard and screen (fingernail-pry up the right end, lift it out,
unhook the left end). Lift up the keyboard (gently lift the side
closest to the keyboard, careful not to stress the ribbon cable). While
keeping the keyboard raised, detach the right and left keyboard
retaining straps (remove short screws fastening them to the case, slip
strap ends from slots). Remove shiny metal heat shield (it was held
down by those same screws).

5. The screen and upper case half should now be loose from the
motherboard of the machine, although still connected by the display
cable (right upper corner of the keyboard area) and another cable
(screen power? left upper corner of the keyboard area). The keyboard is
still connected to the motherboard by its ribbon cable. So you haven't
actually disconnected anything, but you have gotten access to the
screws under the heat shield and the screen.

6. Now remember where the PC card assembly mounting screws were
located, find their heads, and remove them (over by the right-hand side
of the machine, two by the edge of the keyboard closest to you, two
under the screen).

7. Now close the screen (put the keyboard back in place, be careful not
to pinch anything) and turn the Libretto upside down again. Remove the
PC card assembly (verify the four screws are missing, then pull up at
the end closest to the middle of the machine). Lift up the black
plastic sheet covering the motherboard (use tape to hold it out of the
way).

8. Find the points you need to solder and do the job.

9. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Verify that everything is
secure before you close up the Libretto (check LCD display and power
cables, memory card, keyboard cable, CMOS battery in its plastic
cover). You should have two short screws for the keyboard straps, four
long screws for the PC card assembly, and seven long screws for the
lower case half.

10. If the case halves aren't meeting on the left-hand side (near the
hard drive), check that the hard drive handle is pulled out, then push
it back  before inserting screws. If the case halves aren't meeting at
the back (by the audio in/out jacks) check that the PC card eject
levers and the corresponding levers on the PC card assembly are not
interfering with each other.