Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:15:04 -0600
From: Tory Braybrook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] OT: Osaka - any hints for someone looking for
 electronics?

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:59:25 -0700
Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:02:03 +1000
> From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: OT: Osaka - any hints for someone looking for electronics?
>
> Hi all!
>

> In just over a month, I'll have the pleasure of once again venturing
to the
> land of little laptops and other wondrous gadgets - this time Osaka!
>
> Anyone got any advice as to the "lay of the land" in Osaka as far as
> electronics go? (David, Brett, I'm looking at you two!) I'm told
"Den-Den
> Town" is worth a visit (in an Akihabara-like sense), any other
must-see
> places (or for that matter, specific places in Den-Den Town that I
> shouldn't miss)?

The Osaka Aquarium is world class - there are some absolutely stunning
displays there (Including super-deep sea animals, such as crab like
things with dinner plate sized bodies and 2 1/2 foot long legs!!!).
Other than that, I didn't get to do much in Osaka other than Den-Den
town. Den-Den itself is fantastic- I liked it much better than
Akihabara. In Akihabara you have a confusing pile of stores, literally
one on top of another - trying to find anything is somewhat...
difficult. Den-den town is simple and straight forward - both sides of
the road for several blocks.

Osaka struck me as being a fairly dirty place - for Japan. Hiroshima is
spotless, and Kyoto is well-kept, but Osaka seemed somewhat out of
place. I literally came across an abandoned van on the side of the road,
filled with garbage. It was a bit surprising. (And I was "helped" out by
a beggar dressed like a Buddhist priest. :( )

> As for electronics themselves, any new models to look out for
(especially
> those that might have gone under the radar here because they're
> Japan-only)? I'm particularly keen to get one of those Linux-powered
> Zauruses (Zaurii?) - especially if there's a chance of snapping a
cheap,
> only-just-obsolete model!

I'm a *big* Zaurus fan - I've got about 6 of them :) Don't bother with
an older model - the newest one is the C1000. It's a black clamshell
with USB host and a VGA screen, and it is currently running at about
40,000 yen (About $465CAN). That's less than the used prices on the
860's (no USB host) last year. Anything used will save you a bit, but
you'll have an older device with the poorly supported ATI W100 video, no
USB host, and a used and smaller capacity battery. Check out
www.oesf.org/forums for more info. (I post there under the name Kahm).

> David, I've just been reading your email about Sofmap back in October
last
> year ... know if there is one of those in Osaka? :-P

You'll want to look for a store called "Naniwadenki" - it's a discount
store in Osaka that has *MUCH* better pricing than Sofmap. Sofmap is
ubiquitous in Japan, so yes there is one in Osaka - probably several.
(Akihabara has at least 8, all specializing in different departments).
Their used section is kind of neat, especially for used laptops. The one
outside of Kyoto station has row upon row upon row of them - Literally
dozens of the smallest laptops you have ever seen! (Things like the tiny
Sony machines. Wow!) They're still pretty expensive - 130,000-200,000
yes, if I remember right.

> Cheers!
>

> - Raymond

I got to spend two weeks in the Kyoto/Osaka area last October, and I
thought it was fantastic. I'm excitedly looking forward to my next
opportunity to go there.

Tory