Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:56:10 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Libretto 70CT - Replacment hard drive? - Installing Win98se

From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Is this because I formatted the drive using XP or a problem with the boot disk I’m using?

Either may be the case.

Just follow the steps from my last post, but before you finally put the HD back in the Lib for Win98 installation proper:

- DISCONNECT your desktop's HD (!!!),
- connect your new Lib's HD to the IDE cable which is normally attached to the desktop's HD (using 2.5-3.5" adapter),
- Boot desktop from Win98 boot floppy,
- and then run:    A:FDISK /MBR

Put the new HD in the Lib, reconnect your desktop's HD as it was before.

This FDISK /MBR command will make sure the MBR (some disk partitioning data structure on the HD) is something that Win98 fully understands.

Again, I'd check in FDISK to make sure that the primary partition in the Lib drive is set to Active. Jon had a problem with that previously:

http://www.mail-archive.com/libretto@basiclink.com/msg15809.html

And I suspect XP was the culprit.

Matt

Wanted: 110 motherboard or bare bones 110 system

Libretto list info: