Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:22:20 -0800
From: John Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] Toshiba 100GB suggestions..?

Hello Chris Hogan...

That is interesting you say that.  I have a 2.5" IBM Travelstar 12GB drive
and it is the loudest 2.5 I have. (DARA-212000)  Noise as you describe...
makes me want to open it and shake out the metallic sand that it sounds
like is inside it.  I imagine tiny brake pads having gone metal to metal.
 : )
I have only owned a few 2.5" drives in this 9.5mm thickness though.  I have
a couple of Toshiba 20GB Drives that are silent inside my Libretto(s)
however.  The newest drive I bought was a Toshiba 100GB  (GAX) and it is
very quiet, only a TINY bit audible compared to the Toshiba 20GIG drives I
have.  To give an example, in a room where you can hear cooling fans from
desktop systems, you can not hear this 100GB drive in the Libretto.  In a
silent room you can.  I think it very quiet... no more than 10% more
audible than the Toshiba 20GB drives I own.  BUT the (at least the one I
own) Toshiba 100GB has a slight vibration to it that can be felt.  That
bothered me the first time I started it up.  So tiny to have vibration like
that.  It is a 5400RPM drive, so I guess is has more potential for
imbalance than a lower RPM drive.  I have not noticed much vibration in
drives since 2.5" drives were 13mm (12.7?) thick.  I would think anything
that vibrates would have a higher tendency to wear, but my old Toshiba 13mm
drives still work today and two are used daily now for approximately 10
years.  I just reached down and felt the case on a 486 computer that is
never turned off which contains a Toshiba 120MB 2.5" drive (adapted to 3.5
controller/power) and it is STILL vibrating just like it did when new.
 Amazing.  I hope my newest 100GB Toshiba (GAX) lasts that long as well as
my Librettos!  : )

Hope that helps...

John Martin