Hi Kevin,

Sorry that I haven't been moving on this stuff.  I've been busy with
the work that feeds me.  :-)

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 09:26:28PM -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> About a month ago we discussed better C++ support and support for dropping
> static libraries not compiled with PIC code when creating shared
> libraries.
>
> I was wondering what the status of:
>
> 1) Adding support for C++ on all (or most) platforms where g++ is used
> as the C++ compiler.

The problem with the C++ support in the multi-language branch in the
case of g++ is that each platform has its own g++ configuration.  I
don't recall why I set things up that way, but I may have had a
reason.  Anyway, assuming that there is no good reason to have
platform specific g++ configurations, then the solution would be to
take the Linux g++ configuration, for example, and move to a point
before all the platform-specific configurations occur, and perhaps
setup a "with_gxx" (as opposed to with_gcc) flag, similar to what is
done with the C compiler configurations.  These changes would have to
be done in the ltcf-cxx.sh shell script fragment.

Does this reasonable?

> 2) Adding support to avoid linking in static libraries when creating a
> shared library if 1) It is not compiled with PIC code or 2) the user
> requests it.

>From what I recall, this was a generic libtool issue, i.e. one that
isn't specific to the C++ support.  Is this correct?  I'm not sure
where to start on this one since it's been a while since I looked deep
into libtool's internals.  Hopefully somebody can chime in here.

> Implementing these two features would REALLY help me out with my Pspell
> project (http://psepll.sourceforge.net).  I am willing to do what ever I
> can to help out.  I will even be willing to write some code provided
> someone can point me in the right direction.

Donations are always welcome.  :-)

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine