On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Bob Friesenhahn <
bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2022, Oleg Smolsky wrote:
> >
> > Leaving it here for posterity. Perhaps someone will do this with a bit
> more
> > finesse and turn it into a proper feature.
>
> Are you using libtool as originally distributed by the FSF or are you
> using a libtool provided by a Linux system package?
>
> The libtool provided as part of a Linux distribution often hacks
> libtool so that it does not include full dependency information in the
> library.la files.  They do this in order to avoid "excessive linkage"
> because they do not want the program/library to retain full linkage
> details in case the OS changes the libraries.

Oh, that's a very interesting hint! thanks, Bob! I am using libtoon from
the distro.

What does it take to take libtool from upstream? Certainly I can fetch its
source... but how do I marry that with the  `autoreconf` invocation that
drives build system generation?

Oleg.
  • ... Oleg Smolsky
    • ... Oleg Smolsky
      • ... Bob Friesenhahn
        • ... Howard Chu via Discussion list for the GNU libtool shared library maintenance tool
        • ... Oleg Smolsky
          • ... Bob Friesenhahn
            • ... Oleg Smolsky