On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 12:28 PM Bob Friesenhahn <
bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2022, Oleg Smolsky wrote:
> >>
> >> The libtool provided as part of a Linux distribution often hacks
> >> libtool so that it does not include full dependency information in the
> >> library.la files.  They do this in order to avoid "excessive linkage"
> >> because they do not want the program/library to retain full linkage
> >> details in case the OS changes the libraries.
> >>

> > Oh, that's a very interesting hint! thanks, Bob! I am using libtoon from
> > the distro.
> >
> > What does it take to take libtool from upstream? Certainly I can fetch
> its
> > source... but how do I marry that with the  `autoreconf` invocation that
> > drives build system generation?
>
> A reasonable thing to do would be to download the autoconf, automake,
> and libtool tarballs from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/.  Build and install
> each one using the same installation prefix.  It is best if the
> installation prefix does not interfere with your operating system (the
> default of "/usr/local" normally works).
>
> OK, I've just installed the latest tagged versions of [autoconf, automake,
libtool] into /opt/3p, regenerated my build system and compiled the minimal
test case. The key variable that I would like to carry the -Wl,rpath flags
is still blank for my static lib:

# Linker flags that cannot go in dependency_libs.
inherited_linker_flags=''

So, do you think these versions are new enough?

[autoconf]
GitRevision = v2.71
Source = https://github.com/autotools-mirror/autoconf.git

[automake]
GitRevision = v1.16.5
Source = https://github.com/autotools-mirror/automake.git

[libtool]
GitRevision = v2.4.7
Source = https://github.com/autotools-mirror/libtool.git

Thanks!
Oleg.
  • ... Oleg Smolsky
    • ... Oleg Smolsky
      • ... Bob Friesenhahn
        • ... Howard Chu via Discussion list for the GNU libtool shared library maintenance tool
        • ... Oleg Smolsky
          • ... Bob Friesenhahn
            • ... Oleg Smolsky