On 2012.07.12 14:02, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Pete Batard <p...@akeo.ie> wrote:
>> Having recently reinstalled one of my Windows 7 platforms, I just found
>> that, while plugging the WinUSB WCID enabled Benchmark device, after a
>> search through Windows Update the WinUSB driver was installed automatically
>> the same way as it would be on the WCID enabled Windows 8 platform [1].
>>
>> A second test on a different machine appears to confirm that at least for
>> x86 and x64 Windows 7, Windows Update now provides a full blow
>> WinUSB WCID driver for any device that can report the
>> USB\MS_COMP_WINUSB Compatible Hardware ID.
>
> Nice.

By the way, I have just confirmed that this also applies to Vista. It's
just a bit more obtrusive for users there because of the in-your-face
UAC. Sadly, tests show that this does not apply to Windows XP. This may
be because WCID is only supported from XP SP2. Or it could be because
unlike what it the case for Vista and 7, there is no pre-installed
WinUSB driver to rely on, and therefore downloading the whole WiNUSB
package that includes the co-installers may be seen as prohibitive.

Additional info from Windows Update shows that the WinUSB WCID driver is
provided as part of a "Windows Phone Other hardware software" update,
dated May 2012, that has WinQual ID 20484220.
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20484220 is supposed to
provide more info, but it looks like Microsoft removed public access to
winqual data earlier this year...

And as mentioned, no newer versions of winusb.sys or winusb.dll are
provided with the update. Only a .inf and a .cat.

> I think this is a good for Microsoft's part. WinUSB will play an important
> role in the future and more and more USB device will use WinUSB
> as the driver down the road and not using the generic HID device.

It certainly looks like Microsoft have done their part, though some XP
support would be nice too. Whether device manufacturers will follow
remains to be seen...

>> Not sure how this will impact libusb-win32 & libusbK though...
>
> I think there will be not much impact. libusb-win32 has many users
> and the compatibility with libusb-0.1 API makes it a good choice
> for people porting libusb-0.1 API based program to Windows.
> And libusb-0.1 API will be there for a long time.
>
> As for libusbK, it is quite new and it is Windows only. I expect it to
> be a niche player (especially the API) behind libusb-win32 and
> libusb-1.0 API (libusb and libusbx) for some time. For Windows only
> users who want nice API to be used, libusbK will still be quite
> attractive if compared to libusb-win32 API and libusb-1.0 API.
> libusbK API is also a superset of WinUSB API. So down the road,
> we expect libusbK API to have quite some users as well, but
> probably not as popular as libusb-0.1/libusb-win32 API and
> libusb-1.0 API.

Well, libusbx will soon support all of those, so I guess it'll be up to
our developers to decide the driver that suits them best.

And seeing that all it would take to bring libusb0.sys and libusbK.sys
on par with WinUSB, is for someone to go through WHQL with a libusb0 or
libusbK WCID driver (against a libusb0 or libusbK WCID device then, or,
if we had the funds, we could even try to go through WHQL ourselves),
maybe this is what we should try to encourage.
This way, WinUSB wouldn't have the somewhat unfair advantage of being
the one driver that can skip a manual installation process on Vista and
later.

Regards,

/Pete