John Chen wrote:

> Yes, I already installed the  UMDF driver on windows, I do not know
> exactly what libusb is trying to do here, I looked some of libusb's
> source code, looks like it is using some of winusb api. from the
> legacy code (that works), I noticed that it passes
> IOCTL_EZUSB_GET_SERIAL_NUMBER  to windows api  DeviceIoControl , but I
> do not see anywhere I could pass this parameter
> to libusb_get_string_descriptor_ascii, does that
> mean libusb_get_string_descriptor_ascii will not working for me on
> this device? if  yes, how do I map the call
> from DeviceIoControl to libusb_control_transfer

You are confusing two things here.  IOCTL_EZUSB_GET_SERIAL_NUMBER is a
custom command to a custom driver.  It is not a USB function.  It is a
command that Cypress' custom driver understands.  When the Cypress
driver receives that ioctl, it sends a standard USB GET_DESCRIPTOR
command to the device.

When you are using libusbx, you are not talking to Cypress' driver.  You
are talking to one of the libusbx back-end drivers.  They have their own
set of commands, but you never see those commands.  The library sends
those commands based on the libusbx functions you call.

In this case, the libusbx request you are making will produce exactly
the same USB request that the IOCTL_EZUSB_GET_SERIAL_NUMBER ioctl
produces in the Cypress driver.  Your problem is not the command.  Your
problem is the way the drivers are configured.

Pete B is much more current on this process than I am.  He is well on
his way to having a solution for you.

--
Tim Roberts, t...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.