Ref to Tim's question to OSR NTDEV list and the answer from Microsoft.
http://www.osronline.com/showthread.cfm?link=251465

''''
There is no new WinUSB coinstaller in the 8.1 kit to install downlevel. nothing
in there is tied to
strictly to umdf, so that is not the reason there is no downlevel install. none
of the Win8.1 WDF components go downlevel, we had to make a trade off between
time to market and what we could test.''''

---
https://github.com/libusbx/libusbx/pull/164#issuecomment-30480084