On 10/12/2010 01:01 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
On 10/12/2010 12:26 PM, Eric Blake wrote:

Now that I've done a bit more research; here's the results, to make it
easier for others to do:

git config sendemail.chainreplyto false
git config sendemail.thread false
git config format.thread shallow

Then:

git send-email -8 --cover-letter

will automatically send 8 messages all in reply to the cover letter,
creating a single thread.

Odd that it should require any configuring

Well, both send-email and format-patch can do threading; send-email calls format-patch under the hood, then skips threading if what format-patch returns contains threading. There's some historical baggage there, too; the two commands learned threading at different times, and in different ways (for example, format-patch --thread used to do deep threading unconditionally, where every patch is a reply to the previous patch rather than to the cover letter).

git send-email -8 --compose

(I hadn't seen "--cover-letter" before.

--compose starts up a blank cover letter; --cover-letter starts up a cover letter with 'git diff --stat' information already plugged in.

The man page for git-send-email
only lists "--compose", and I see the man page for git-format-patch only
lists --cover-letter, but git send-email accepts both; I assume they're
synonyms)

Rather, the git-send-email man page states that all unrecognized options to get-send-email are passed through to git-format-patch (yes, that's a bit cheap of the documentation to take that shortcut, but you're welcome to file that as a git bug if you want).

--
Eric Blake   ebl...@redhat.com    +1-801-349-2682