On 10/23/2012 12:01 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
On 10/23/2012 11:07 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
This patch changes the way parameters are passed to dnsmasq.  They are
put into a conf-file instead of being on the dnsmasq command line.
I was thinking about this last night after I learned from you that the
conf file *isn't* reread when dnsmasq received SIGHUP. That being the
case, what are the other reasons for switching from commandline to conf
file? I suppose one is that it eliminates clutter in the ps output (and
gets it away from prying eyes (since anyone can see the commandline by
looking in the output of ps -AlF). Another would be it avoids hitting
the commandline limit (which is rather large, but still exists) when
there are a lot of srv and txt entries. Anything else?

Not really. Maybe there is also the fact that I believe this is a "cleaner," but not necessarily better, approach.

There is also the possibility that Simon could be convinced to add the capability of re-reading configuration files. I will ask to see what his reaction is. But, his reaction may be: "Sure, go ahead and do that; I look forward to your patches." I am not sure I want to wander in that swamp right now.

The most important thing to me is adding the --conf-dir=<directory>. This will allow debugging different parameters without having to recompile/rebuild the entire libvirt set of packages. Now, when I first did this, I thought that the configuration files in the directory would be re-read. When it did not do that, and, upon doing a little research, found that it was working as designed.

Oh, BTW, there is one other little thing about the command line parameters. To support IPv6 completely, the should be local=/<reverse-ip6-addr>.ip6.arpa/ parameters and these are very long. Putting things into a conf-file just makes it (IMHO) a lot simpler to understand.

I do realize that this is open source and I can always "do my own thing" and continue using the patches myself. However, that can mean a lot of work just keeping up.

One last observation/question:  Why not?

Gene

**NOTE ** This has updated the related tests for the new
data format, etc.

**NOTE** This patch does NOT include specifying interface=

The command line now contains --conf-file=<filename> and a new
parameter --conf-dir=<directoryname> has been added.

The new file and directory are put in the same directory as the
leases file.
---
  src/network/bridge_driver.c                        | 179 ++++++++++++++-------
  src/network/bridge_driver.h                        |   8 +-
  tests/networkxml2argvdata/isolated-network.argv    |  24 +--
  .../networkxml2argvdata/nat-network-dns-hosts.argv |  14 +-
  .../nat-network-dns-srv-record-minimal.argv        |  35 ++--
  .../nat-network-dns-srv-record.argv                |  35 ++--
  .../nat-network-dns-txt-record.argv                |  29 ++--
  tests/networkxml2argvdata/nat-network.argv         |  27 ++--
  tests/networkxml2argvdata/netboot-network.argv     |  28 ++--
  .../networkxml2argvdata/netboot-proxy-network.argv |  25 +--
  tests/networkxml2argvdata/routed-network.argv      |  12 +-
  tests/networkxml2argvtest.c                        |  44 +----

<snip>