Bjoern Hoehrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi Gisle,

Hi!

> Hi List,
>
>    At [1] you can currently find the latest Internet Draft for IRIs
> (Internationalized Resource Identifiers). IRIs are similar to URIs but
> the IRI syntax allows far more ISO/IEC 10646 (Unicode) characters in the
> grammer, while URIs are limited to US-ASCII characters. Each URI is
> supposed to be a valid IRI. Is there any ongoing development to support
> IRIs in Perl? I don't think so, so I suggest to add support hereby. I'm
> curious to know, how an implementation could look like. One could say
> that URIs are a subset of IRIs, so it would be reasonable to consider
> moving current URI processing code to an generic IRI parser and make the
> URI stuff a derieved class of some IRI module. What about that?
>
> [1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-url-i18n-07.txt

I don't know about any activity to support IRIs for Perl.  I think
support could simply be that we added a method to URI.pm called as_IRI
and then let URI->new() do the "IRIs to URIs" algoritm if chars above
ASCII is found.

But I don't really understand how IRIs solve any problem if you still
can't "use non-ASCII characters in host names".

Don't you want to be http://björn.höhrmann.de?   :-)

Regards,
Gisle