Gisle Aas wrote:

> But I don't really understand how IRIs solve any problem if you still
> can't "use non-ASCII characters in host names".
>
> Don't you want to be http://björn.höhrmann.de?   :-)

It's coming; see <http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idn-charter.html>.
(There are people trying to jump the gun, but it turns out to be a hard
problem.  For example, should björn.höhrmann.de be equivalent to
bjorn.hohrmann.de? Or consider Hebrew, where vowels are not letters, and
often omitted; should two domain names that differ only in the vowels be
equivalent?)

In the meantime, IRIs let you have non-ASCII in the file names, at least.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|