>Seems like you can try to push (PeerHTTPVersion => "1.1") onto the
>@EXTRA_SOCK_OPTS to supress this one as well.

That did the trick! thanks!

>So you are not on friendly terms with the server you are trying to
>access then.  Oh well,...

It isn't really a matter of being "friendly". I can use a crappy proprietary app to
grab the data in question once a day, in a manual tedious fashion, or I can use Perl
to do it with elegance, hands free. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't object to what I'm
doing, but let's just say I'd rather not cause any alarm :-)

Alert! Alert! We have a customer with half a brain! Lock down the webservers ASAP!