Sorry Ted I never seem to explain myself well.  I was just talking about
what happens when I manually retrieve the file with IE.  I tried to do
it manually with firefox to see if I get the security warning message
(this just asks if you want to open, save, or cancel) but it doesn't
like one of the sites javascript buttons.  I guess my question is how to
handle a file once I use click() or submit() with Mechanize.  This might
be obvious to a vet Perl programmer but like I said it's been a long
time for me.  Do I have to associate a file handle to click() or
submit() or am I just grasping  :) - if you want to slap me and tell me
to go back to Perl beginners school I understand.

Windows security window?  I can't imagine why that would happen, based
on the code you shared previously.  Maybe there's some firewall software
on the machine?