It looks as if Alie did not infringe Trent's copyright. I think most of us
agree on this. What is left is whether she breached the terms of the GPL.

Since Alice's software is not free (in the FSF meaning), the distribution of
the program breaches the GPL, if her program only runs as a derivative of
Trent's program and has been distributed closed or not free. (Some people
have argued that Bob is really the author of the program that actually uses
Trent's program by downloading the illicit file).

In my view, Alice is really the author of whatever progam that is running on
Bob's PC and, therefore, Alice has breached the copyleft provision of
Trent's GPL.  Admittedly, however, if Bob is really the *offending* author,
then the analysis changes entirely. I think we have to apply some real-world
commonsense analysis to the facts to determine who is really the author of
the program that runs on Bob's PC.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]