> From: Carter Bullard [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Is the OSI trying to make a determination that two
> different legal documents are functionally equivalent?

        [DJW:]  As I understand it, they are determining
        whether the licence is a member of the set of
        possible "open source" licences.

> The place to define the liabilities and remedies is in the
> license.  My companies license has some detail in this area.

        [DJW:]  IANAL, but I believe that it can only be
        done in a contract.  Many "licenses" are actually
        both a licence and a contract, and some of the
        arguments about shrink wrapped licences are about
        whether a contract actually exists.  In English, law
        contracts require an offer, acceptance of that offer
        and a consideration (something given in return). It
        would probably help if "open source" licenses that
        attempt to go beyond a statement of permissions
        explicitly identified all three components.
[DJW:]