Great reply, Ian, thanks.

Why should people give away copies of it?  What would they gain by
doing that?  In fact, they would lose: they would spend money to get
software, and then they would give it to their competitors for free.
Certainly some altruistic individual might pay for the software and
then give it away.  In practice, nobody bothers.  It's just not worth
worrying about that kind of thing, at least not in the space that we
are in (embedded operating systems and development tools).  If you
want to run a business, you have to worry about the problems that you
really do encounter, not the problems that might theoretically arise.

You have to try to foresee some things, e.g. for pricing. But I get the gist. However note that this does not work well when you want the open source *development* model, i.e. lots of authors around the world. In this context the sources become available gratis at several places, simply for technical matters.

This is all beside the point I wanted to make.  Even if we only sold
support, that would still be a case of commercial open source
software....

Yes, I see. Finally a compelling argument. Name collision. Thanks. I'll change the terminology.