Henrik Ingo wrote:

MIT is on record as saying that the MIT license, which is otherwise equivalent
to the 2-clause BSD license, does *not* grant a patent license.

I also would like to see a reference to that written statement. But I believe
it to be true only if it means:

. . . does *not* grant *an additional* patent license.

The patent right to *use* that legally acquired software is an implied patent
grant for all software licensed in ordinary commerce, but this does not
necessarily include a patent license for derivative works or other unintended
uses.

It has long been believed by many of us that universities, research
institutions, and other large patent holders are quite comfortable with the
short BSD and MIT licenses because they are safe copyright-only licenses. Those
licenses do not implicate their vast patent portfolios for derivative works or
other uses.

Is that on record by them? Or simply assumed by those of us who believe that
implicit and unwritten patent promises don't exist (except for the right to use
that software unmodified). Can I really take any of MIT's patents now
implemented in MIT-licensed open source software and create derivative works
involving those (or related) MIT patents?

Quite frankly, I believe the Apache and MPL licenses are much better. They do
contain written patent promises, and so are safer and explicitly more generous.

The BSD and MIT licenses are okay if all you really care about are copyrights.

/Larry

Many people, including significant producers of BSD software, believe
that the BSD license is also a patent license.

MIT is on record as saying that the MIT license, which is otherwise equivalent
to the 2-clause BSD license, does *not* grant a patent license.

Do you have a citation to support that please? A quick web search did not
identify one, but obviously it's a big web out there.

Thanks,

S.