Doesn't look right. The id is the primary key - it could now be inserted
with a value of 100, always.
I can do an insert here with
 @Id
 @GeneratedValue(){val strategy = GenerationType.AUTO}

Still works without GeneratedValue being present. My pom dependencies are
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
            <artifactId>hibernate-entitymanager</artifactId>
            <version>3.3.2.GA</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>net.sourceforge.jtds</groupId>
            <artifactId>jtds</artifactId>
            <version>1.2</version>
        </dependency>

Properties in persistance.xml
   <properties>
      <property name="hibernate.dialect"
value="org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect"/>
      <property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class"
value="net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver"/>
      <property name="hibernate.connection.username" value="xx"/>
      <property name="hibernate.connection.password" value="xx"/>
      <property name="hibernate.connection.url"
value="jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/fred"/>
      <property name="hibernate.max_fetch_depth" value="3"/>
      <property name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true"/>
</properties>