Guys,

I might only have 8 years of experience with working with the Servlet-stack,
but the main reason that Lift is hooked into a Filter is that Lift filters
requests... ;)

Hooking it in as a Servlet would only be feasible if we'd have a two-pass
system where:

The request first goes through the Filter, to do rewriting and see if it's a
Lift-request, then do a dispatch to a LiftServlet and let the lift servlet
do the actual delivery of the payload, else just passing the request through
the FilterChain

What do you think?

Cheers,
Viktor