FWIW, it's a Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM @ 2GHz on Mac OS X
10.5.6 running Ubuntu Server 9.04 in Sun VirtualBox.

I'm virtualising because production will be an Ubuntu VM and I prefer
to work with VMs for dev. IIRC the CPU isn't working hard inside or
outside of the VM when it takes a long time to load.

Running mvn jetty:run often takes a few seconds but once time in ten
it's out for a few minutes.

As I'm working from the standard generated project layout I imagine
there's nothing extra to needs that I can disable?

I'll report back when it happens next.

(it's exciting to be working with such a great framework having the
BDFL replying personally -- thank you!)

Joe