That's not accurate, at least with Hibernate. By putting the annotations on
vars, the compiler ends up putting them on the internal fields, which then
forces Hibernate into a field-based persistence model and not a
getter/setter based one. The SQLGrammarException is most likely what the
other people have said. If you're in Oracle or PostgreSQL, for instance, you
need a sequence set up for the auto identity model. What database are you
using?

Derek