When the pdtPath was "complete", I did have my Paypal account
configured to .../paypal/complete.  The odd thing was that this worked
in my development account but NOT in the paypal production account
which is painful because I had to do testing on the production account
with real money.

When I removed my override (the default reverting back to "pdt"), I
changed my Paypal account to auto return to .../paypal/pdt and BOTH my
dev and production paypal accounts worked.

Maybe I had something else misaligned.  Another moral to the story is
to make sure this stuff works well in advance of launching a
production site (something David did warn me about).

Dan