I spend a lot of time today on (close to) the same problem.. IE 6 was
not showing my site in strict mode.. with the strict doctype set
correctly I thought.. :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

The problem was the order of the two lines.. Seems that to have IE
pick up the correct doctype, the html HAS TO START with the doctype.
Changing the order makes IE show my website perfectly:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

How to change the order in my code so that Lift spits out my pages
correctly?

regards,
David Persons