Tim, Eric,

@Tim:
> everyone has to start
> somewhere and saying Lift is only appropriate for hardcore programmers
> because its a new framework is wrong IMHO.

Compared to certain other starting points, there are a lot of extra
hurdles to overcome if you're going to attempt lift as your intro to
programming.  For example, contrasted to a simple non-lift project,
the person would have to become familiar with:
- maven
- command line
- many "advanced" aspects of scala
- deal with less reliable IDE tools and sometimes forgo their benefits
entirely

A new programmer shouldn't try to deal with more than one of those at
a time, or he'll get stuck on lots of fruitless problems (sometimes
for days), and likely have to go back to a simpler environment
anyway.  It's better to start programming by: 1) *programming* rather
than learning tools, and 2) having the full support of an IDE.

@Eric:
I'd also echo the sentiment which has already been expressed here a
few times: just start working with code and don't worry about getting
the architecture right.

Architecture is a medium-to-advanced topic, btw, that requires you to
judge the value of choosing among multi-factored tradeoffs.  That kind
of knowledge mostly comes from *experience* with all the patterns in
various contexts.

Best regards,
Ellis