So I assume XMPP and AMQP would be other sinks / sources? If so the
mind is boggling with old ideas laid to rest for some time...

A thought that comes to mind is that of a source and sink are of the
same type, eg. AMQP, would the interconnection make use of that
technologies underlying implementation. eg. AMQP exchanges?

Time to check out the progress in git...

Marc