runt,

Why on earth are you sudo'ing for a simple build? Moreover, is there a
reason you want to build from source? See my instructions here:

http://wiki.github.com/dpp/liftweb/how-to-getting-and-building-from-source

To be honest, if you just want to use lift then you really don't need
to build the source - try the following command also:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeCatalog=http://scala-tools.org/

Try those and let me know...

Cheers, Tim