On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM, jlist9 <jli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Appreciate your reply. It's definitely helpful in clearing some of my
> thoughts,
> as well as in my process of learning Scala down the road. I also think your
> book is very well paced and organization of the content is well thought
> out.
> Great job!
>
> I'd like to explain a little bit where my frustration is coming from
> (and I don't
> want to waste people's time reading further for those who aren't
> interested.)
>
> I come from Java and Python background. When learning these two languages
> I didn't have a problem with the syntax. I think Java's syntax is well
> defined
> although verbose, and Python's is clear and concise. There is a small
> number
> of operators and data types and it's pretty clear which is for what
> purpose.
> "Zen of Python" says it well:
>
> "There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."

Except that sometimes, there isn't.  In fact for any non-trivial case, there
can be multiple ways to do anything.
Sorting is an excellent example.  There isn't just one way to sort.  Which
way you do it depends on the data, and your
expectations.

> and I think this reflects well in the language design of Python.
>
> It's also generally discouraged to use too much "black magic" when coding
> in Python so that the code is easier to understand and maintain, although
> Python, being a powerful dynamic language, is very capable of black magics.
>
> These two things helped a lot in my learning of Python. It's a much smaller
> set of syntax to learn and it can be learned in a very short time, maybe
> through
> one or two online tutorials. The rest of it is just libraries, which
> are very rich
> in functionality, but the source code is easy to understand, because of the
> small set of clearly defined elements in the language - syntax and
> data types, etc..
>
> However, I don't feel the same about Scala. In Scala, I often see multiple
> ways
> of doing the same thing, or very similar things, and this is confusing.

Tell me about it.... If you find Scala confusing, never go look at Perl or
Lisp....

Perl's motto is "There is more then one way to do it."

> For example, there are multiple ways of running a program. You can have a
> script, or an application. To run an application, you can write an "object"
> and
> implement the main method, or you can extend Application class and write
> the code right in the body of the class. It took me a while to figure out
> how
> it works. What's wrong with having only one of them? Python only start as a
> script and Java only need a main method but either way works.

Each brings it's own strengths and weaknesses to the table.
And Java only needs a main isn't true.... in web development there is no
main.  There is no main if you write an eclipse plugin, and there is no main
if you use a Swing based framework.  (note if it's just swing, you do.)

> Another example is that in some scenarios ( ) and { } are
> interchangable in Scala
> code, although I haven't figured out in what occasions they are, and
> in what occasions

they are not. This puzzles me more because ( ) and { } are the basic
> elements
> in a language and the language allows such flexible usage of them. Although
> think there should be a good reason for this but it still struck me as odd.

Wish I could articulate this better.  Using the for comprehension as an
example... it's the way it gets compiled into code.  There is no for loop in
Scala.  A for comprehension gets boiled down to method calls.  The curly
braces get converted into an anonymous function.
See
http://creativekarma.com/ee.php/weblog/comments/the_scala_for_comprehension_from_a_java_perspective/

> In contrast to Python's short list of operators, because operators are
> actually functions
> in Scala, it's easy for Scala to have a new operator, or have
> functions that works
> like operators. This is a powerful feature and it is good news for
> people who want to
> create DSLs. However I think a plethora of operators make code much harder
> read before people can make it a habit to convert operators as
> functions in their mind.

And too few operators leads to a whole lot of words, which leads to a whole
lot of typing, or a whole lot of ctrl-space completions.  It's a toss up.
The wordy way is definitely noob friendly, while the operator way is more
expert friendly.
Which do you design a language for?  Let me know when that particular
religious war dies down please.
As someone who slings code for a living.... the less I type the happier I
am..... YMMV

> To summarize, the more I learn Scala the more I realize how powerful
> it is. Meanwhile,
> I think Scala imposes this mind tweaking that people have to go
> through in learning
> this language, the difficulty that I didn't feel when I learned
> Python, or Java, C or C++.
> I like many of the features provided by Scala but I hope some of the
> things can be
> simplified/demystified to make it easier to pick up and use.

Interestingly, I heard a lot of the exact same type of comments when people
went from learning the DOS command line to the Unix command line.  I suppose
that the snarky answer there is similar to the one here:  Unix is user
friendly, it's just picky about who it's friends are.  Scala is also user
friendly.. :)
Which has always meant to me, that the only people who bother to use
something as complex and powerful as Scala, are the good ones.  It is, like
the Unix command line, self selecting for quality.  I've always given more
credence to a Unix Sys Admin then Windows Sys Admin.  I'll always give more
credence to a Scala/Lisp/Clojure/Perl coder then I will anyone from other
languages.
Or, if I may wax metaphorical (and deep into my own opinion)once more... who
do you think is the better driver, a NASCAR driver or a Prius driver?  Which
is more expensive to learn to do?   Which is more fun? :)

--
James A Barrows