Hi,David Pollk!

Nginx only comes with a round-robin balancer and a hash-based
balancer, so if a request takes a while to load, Nginx will start
routing requests to backends that are already processing requests -- as
a result, some backends will be queueing up requests while some
backends will remain idle. You will get an uneven load distribution,
and the unevenness will increase with the amount of load subject to
the load-balancer.

Haproxy as a LB can:
1: Plenty of load-balancing algorithms, including a "least
connections" strategy that picks the backend with the fewest pending
connections. Which happens to be just what we want.

2:  Backends can be sanity- and health-checked by URL to avoid routing
requests to brain-damaged backends. (It can even stagger these checks
to avoid spikes.)

3: Requests can be routed based on all sorts of things: cookies, URL
substrings, client IP, etc.

So, I use nginx + haproxy + tomcat(jetty).