Thanks for your answer!!

You can use mapper by itself.  There's a dependency on lift webkit I
believe.  There might be some other issues, as i don't if anyone is
using it that way.
This is perfectly working

As for the number, are you talking about a userId?  Why would you think
you can't set an arbitrary field in Mapper?
no, it is not a userId, just think of it as some string. Let's call it userSpecialString for the moment. I know that I can set some field but my problem is that when *storing a new user in the database*, the system should:

1) start transaction
2) generate special number/string from database
3) set userSpecialString to this generated thing
4) store new user in the database
5) end transaction

Steps 2-4 are no problem. My problem is how to do this in one transaction (steps 1 and 5) and where the best place is so that steps 1-5 automatically happen when calling newUser.save()

Julian

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Julian Backes