Ok, I think I got this working, at least in a local POC.

Tim got the idea to use Jetty's virtual hosting as described here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Virtual+hosts. This allows each
app to be running in the root context within the virtual host.

Nginx only sends HTTP/1.0 requests to a backend, but adding the Host:
header seems to be interpreted by Jetty even when handling HTTP/1.0
requests. Not sure if this is mandated by the spec though.

I still think this is a little more complicated than it has to be. I
can see Wicket has had the same issues:
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/wicket-behind-a-front-end-proxy.html
(See "Why this doesn't always work") I think they solve it by either:

1) Always generate relative URLs, or
2) Be able to specify the context used for generated URLs (note this
is different from the current LiftRules.calculateContextPath that is
used for both incoming and outgoing requests)

But it seems I got a solution now, so this is not super urgent (for me :-)

Once again, thanks Tim!

/Jeppe