Either -- but it's more verbose.
I'm not so sure David will want to rewrite the entire lift anyway...

-------------------------------------
Heiko Seeberger<heiko.seeber...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Daniel,

I would like to look at this question from a solution oriented
perspective: Certainly you already noticed the third Box subtype Failure and
are aware of its usage. I agree with you, that Option vs Box is confusing
for Lift (and nowadays Goat Rodeo) adopters. As Scala and Lift are still
very young adoption is vital and hence I would like to know, what you
suggest: How could we only use Option *and* get something like Failure? Any
ideas?

Heiko

On 26 February 2010 05:40, Daniel Spiewak <djspie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm curious as to the
> rationale for the Box ADT.  I'm most distressed by the fact that it
> seems to be masquerading as a drop-in Option replacement, and yet the
> mathematical properties of the ADT are widely divergent.  What's more,
> the API is very, very different, leading to a great deal of confusion
> whenever I'm working with code which touches both ADTs (as I often
> do).  Things like `or` vs `orElse`, `open_!` vs `get` and so on are
> very confusing.  The implicit conversion Box[A] => Option[A] doesn't
> help either, since it means I can easily forget and use Option methods
> on Box values, accidentally triggering a conversion.
>
> The whole `or` vs `orElse` thing is particularly annoying since I
> spend a fair amount of time wading through research which discusses
> the `orElse` function in its abstract monadic sense.  Given the
> standard nature of the name (dating back long before Scala), I'm
> surprised that Box went with something else.
>
> I'm sure there are good reasons for all of this, I would just like to
> know what they are.  :-)
>
> Daniel

Heiko Seeberger

Company: weiglewilczek.com
Blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net