> we need to achieve consensus somehow, or change or replace our conventions
> for the project

You don't need to do them all. One would be fine, as a start, and maybe
establishing that we can't have more than X PRs queued. Or a monthly review
day, e.g. the first Sunday of the first week.

 …whenever we (the core team) decide we want to publish a new release
> (whenever that is).

What are your criteria?

 I'm not willing to commit to something like this.

It was just a proposal.