Hi Clara,

The main benefit of this "staking"/reputational credentials is to save on
unconditional fees paid by HTLC senders. They benefit from their past HTLC
routing success in terms of more credentials allocated to them, and as such
minimize the overhead cost of their future HTLC sends, or allow them to
lock liquidity for longer periods. From a routing node viewpoint, a 0-risk
HTLC forwarding acceptance can be maintained by requesting strict binding
between credentials acquisition cost and channel liquidity routed. If
higher returns are seeked, the ratio credentials to liquidity can be
adjusted, of course coming with higher risks, and I think this is where the
model built for the current unconditional fees proposal could be useful (if
we integrate the channel congestion rate factor, I believe).

On top of this monetary paradigm, we can layer a "pure reputation" system,
where in function of the quality of the identities (e.g
proof-of-utxo-ownership), HTLC senders are allocated more significant
liquidity slots. Here, the real bottleneck is the cryptosystem, i.e proving
a UTXO ownership without revealing any other information. The rationale of
this "pure reputation" system, we could even save more in
upfront/unconditional fees in the steady state of the network (however such
a probabilistic model breaks hard in presence of attackers).

Best,
Antoine