Hi William,

> What is wrong with runes/macaroons for validating and authenticating
> commands?

Runes/macaroons don't provide any protection if the machine you are
issuing the RPCs from is compromised. The attacker can change the
parameters of your RPC call and your lightning node will still gladly
execute it.

> I can't imagine validating every RPC request with a hardware
> device and trusted display, unless you have some specific use case in
> mind.

I think that this is because you have the wrong idea of which RPCs
this is supposed to protect. This is useful for the RPCs that actually
involve paying something (channel open, channel close, pay invoice).
This isn't useful for "read" RPCs (listing channels).

Making an on-chain operation or paying an invoice is something that is
infrequent enough for the vast majority of nodes that it makes sense
to validate it manually. Also, this is fully configurable: you can
choose which RPCs you want to protect that way and which RPCs you want
to keep open.

Thanks,
Bastien